Thursday, November 12, 2009

Week Two

Week one I survived on a lot of things from the store that, much to my chagrin, I realized contained rice flour or rice dextrin (?); I didn't spend any time making much. I also found out that the recipes for soup and such are not followed by the cooks at work...instead of oil they use butter, etc. So, fabulous, I thought. Time to get in the kitchen for realz and stop taking short-cuts.

If anyone stumbles upon this site looking for gluten-free and vegan...you've come to the right place. Or, anyone with a peanut, cashew, pinto bean, garlic, mustard, or rice allergy... bienvenue!

Things that came out good?

Vanilla ice cream- Veganomicon, how to make it more nutritious?...
Chickpea Noodle Soup- Veganomicon (though I used navy beans and quinoa macaroni instead of wheat-based pasta)
Crumbly Pumpkin Cake- mom's recipe, oat flour
Portobello Spinach Tacos with pesto- made it up
Mom's Recipe Best Vegetable Soup

Not so good?

Mushroom-Cauliflower-Almond Casserole thing from Vegan Taste of France...probably coulda been better had i not been forced to omit the god of all culinary flavors, garlic. Wasn't bad. I wouldn't go so far as to call it degoutant. Might make the mean vegan gravy Spiral makes for its biscuits that I learned last year at their T-giving class to smother the leftovers in.

Last year when I
first got my braces and
became afraid of solid food for the havoc it can wreak on my stomach and
had to really watch my fat intake due to my missing gallbladder

I decided to make a ton of soup. Its so comforting and nutritious and a great detox... split pea, butternut squash, vichysoisse, TVP stew...I think I'll unearth those recipes and get back in there. If I can just perfect a recipe for homemade gluten-free bread...it will be a complete meal.



No comments:

Post a Comment